Saturday, June 12, 2010

Volume 1, Issue 70, June 12, 2010: Meals I Would Love To Cook Right Now

I promised myself that I was going to cook more this year and really get try to cook at least twice a week.  My mom hasn't been shopping and all we have are condiments in our refrigerator. What am I suppose to do with mustard, relish, syrup, ketchup and jelly? Individually these things are fine to eat but together that's just plain wrong. Anyways, here is a list of things I want to try to make in the near future:

Fried Green Tomatoes





MMMMM! One of my favorite dishes to eat are Fried Green Tomatoes. When I was little my great-grandmother on my mother's side, who is of  European, Native American and Black Ancestry, had a green thumb. She grew her own herbs, fruits, veggies, and flowers; we would help her to harvest the crops and she would cook things straight from her backyard. One of dishes that she made quite often were Fried Green Tomatoes.

Fried Green Tomatoes is an old Cherokee recipe that has a Southern twist. When Tomatoes are first harvested they are green and unripe. Tomatoes turn red quickly so you must quickly cook them while they are green. When they are green they have a much better taste and they are easier to fry because they are less mushier and more solid.


Seafood Gumbo






I haven't had this for a while. This old Louisiana recipe has a combination of African, Native American and French/Spanish ingredients. It is a very heavy dish and very easy to make. When I make it I'm going to put some curry powder and jerk.


Fried Okra






Okra which originates from West Africa was brought over to the Americas by African slaves. Ever since than, Okra has become a staple in Southern cuisine. Okra can be eaten by its self, fried, in salads, as a side and can be used in many stews and soups.


Macaroni & Cheese






Mmmmm, the real kind not that box crap!!! Mac n Cheese is real simple to make and it isn't time consuming. You can put any type of cheese inside of this. I like to use as many cheeses as I can. I like my mac&cheese with Cheddar and Monterray Jack.



Tamales







Tameles are a classic Latin American dish that orginated in Mesoamerica between 5000-8000 BCE. Aztecs, Mayas, Olmecs, Incas and even Taino/Arawak/Carib natives chowed on Tamale, s. Tamales are made of masa(strachy dough, made from corn) and they are wrapped in either leaves, leafs or conr husks. Tamales are are ubiqutious and varied as sandwhiches, they can be filled with meats, chili, cheese, or veggies.I've never made these before. I have eaten them many times. This will be a great challenge to me. I would probably use beef, beans, corn, and peppers.

No comments: