Saturday, June 19, 2010

Volume 1, Issue 72, June 19, 2010: Adventures in DC-The Tibet Shop



I did some exploring in my old neighborhood the other day. I used to live in Adams Morgan/Columbia Heights/Mt.Pleasant neighborhood in DC a few years back when the neighborhood was turning from modestly inexpensive to gentrified and pricey. They are three separate neighborhoods but that are often seen as one whole neighborhood. This area of DC is the most densely populated, diverse and best part of DC. It has trees, parks, office buildings, churches, mosques, temples, everything and anything.

There is always something to do in this neighborhood; you could go to the park, the zoo was nearby, there are hundreds of restaurants, bars and a couple of clubs, the area is full of cultural centers and different religious organizations and I believe this area is one of the most racially diverse in the DC area and not just that you will see people of different races coming together, being friends, intermarrying. This areas also is great for walking and it's close to Columbia Heights and DuPont Circle metro stations. If money grew on trees I would love to live in one of the pre-war apartments that can be found in this area.

I went into the Tibet Shop, basically a Himalayan shop that sells clothing, furniture, fabric, jewelry and other crafts from Asia. Here are some pics I took:








3 comments:

CookieB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CookieB said...

(I didn't mean to delete my comment. lol weird) Anyways, The items look so beautiful. I really want to have various cultures represented in my room for the upcoming year. You visit some fun places!

Charlyndria said...

Thanks Cookie! There are so many ethnic stores in Adams Morgan/U Street. There was a African shop right next to the Tibetian place but the owner didn't let me take pictures.